The Forest of Hands and Teeth

About The Book:
Written by Carrie Ryan Published Year 2009
In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary's truths are failing her. She's learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future - between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

The only motivation for me to read this book is that it's newly released and quite popular. I dont like reading apocalyptical themed books and definitely don't like zombies suprisingly enough I liked this one and even took me until 2 in the morning to finish. A well written book, it was very haunting and leaves the reader thinking of the story after finishing the book. Each characters emotions--love, rage and loss are intensified because there are always on the brink of death. Though the characters emotions are raw and transparent they still seemed detached, the characters should have been more explored, given more dimension even if in the end they'll going to be slaughtered anyway. I don't really like Mary I think she's selfish, indecisive and just really weak I wonder if she'll grow maybe in the next installment if there is, it certainly feels like there ought to be one. Ryan should do a second book because alot of things are left unanswered and there is no background to the decease? or the village? I did enjoy reading the book though, that's just really the important thing for me -- to be entertained. It reads alot like a movie (maybe it will be made one too), the Unconsecrated are convincingly scary, you could almost hear the moans and scraping of their hands. This will probabaly the only zombie book I'll read.

6 comments:

Maggie said...

Glad I found your blog (through TeenTalk). I really enjoyed reading the posts. Have a great one! :)

Kaye said...

Hey Maggie, glad you like it. Thanks =)

Angie said...

I don't normally like those kind of books either, but since you liked this one I might give it a try.

Thanks for the review.

Taschima Cullen said...

You call this humble?! Its freaking sweet!

I really like the blog.

Visit mine? Im having a contest for a copy of Meridian!

Sign up!

www.bloodybookaholic.blogspot.com

vvb32 reads said...

yay for zombies. glad you liked this one too. i didn't care too much for the mary character either, but liked how the book ended.

Kaye said...

@ vvb32
not a big fan of zombies though I did like The Forest of Hands. Hope to read the sequel too =).