Raven

About The Book:
Written by Allison Van Diepen Published Year 2009
Zin dances with fire in every step, speaks in a honey-sweet voice, and sees with eyes that can peer into your soul. Nicole's friendship with him is the only thing that saves her from the boredom of school and the turmoil of her family life. It's no wonder she is madly in love with him. But she can't understand why he keeps her at a distance, even though she can feel his soul reaching out for hers. Zin is like no man Nicole has ever met, and he carries with him a very old secret. When Nicole uncovers the truth, her love may be the only thing that can save him from it.

Paranormal themed books are everywhere, I cant avoid them even if I wanted too. I don't know how may times I've used the phrase -- "suprisingly, I liked it." It happens alot this days might be because I'm reading mostly YA books. I love how Van Diepen was able to create a paranormal realm of her own, immortals who take souls. She made it look more appealing, more with purpose even. Unlike vampires who drink their victim's blood Jiang-shi's take damaged souls inside them and struggles with all of those souls inside them, isn't more dramatic? Although I don't care much for breakdancing I think it's very appropiate for the setting, being in the club scene. Even the use of slang fits and doesn't seemed force or makes the reader feel stupid (unlike House of Night Series). It was fast-paced, I like the flow of the story esp how Zin's feeling was build up gradually. Though Zin and Nic's relationship plays close enough to any other YA books theirs are more subtle and I like it that Nic is able to decide for herself. There was one thing I found confusing though, how Nic always calls her brother a 'Ghost', I thought there's a catch in there somewhere. This was very entertaining and quite possibly gearing for a sequel.

0 comments: