The Lost Symbol

About The Book:
Written by Dan Brown Series Robert Langdon Published Year 2009
As the story opens, Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is summoned unexpectedly to deliver an evening lecture in the U.S. Capitol Building. Within minutes of his arrival, however, the night takes a bizarre turn. A disturbing object--artfully encoded with five symbols--is discovered in the Capitol Building. Langdon recognizes the object as an ancient invitation . . . one meant to usher its recipient into a long-lost world of esoteric wisdom.
When Langdon’s beloved mentor, Peter Solomon--a prominent Mason and philanthropist--is brutally kidnapped, Langdon realizes his only hope of saving Peter is to accept this mystical invitation and follow wherever it leads him. Langdon is instantly plunged into a clandestine world of Masonic secrets, hidden history, and never-before-seen locations--all of which seem to be dragging him toward a single, inconceivable truth.


For someone who loves conspiracy theories which I do, this will be a hit. I don't care much for the writing or quite understand some readers contempt for Brown's writing style, I think it is shared by most of writers in the genre -- ie James Rollins and Steve Berry. It might also be true that I would not have read it with a sense of urgency if not for the author's popularity but I did enjoy reading it. I would have liked it better without the CIA in the backdrop like with the first two books. Mal'akh's character was as delusional but maybe a more sinister villain than the Camerlengo and the Albino. I love reading about the Freemasonry Conspiracies and Noetic Science in the book and I really liked reading the series, Robert Langdon's character is somewhat familiar now that almost everyone I know watched the movie franchise (not me though!) so atleast it gives us something to talk about.

6 comments:

Macy said...

Hi, Kaye!

Were you able to receive my email? I sent it to the one you registered with in Candymag.com. Please let me know if you did.

Macy
candymag.com

Kaye said...

Hi Macy, you're from Candymag?

I didn't get any email, is it about the fair on sat? I'm online right now. You can send me an email at pepperiz21@gmail.com.

eun said...

bago to?

Kaye said...

Yes Eun, it is. 3rd installment on the Robert Langdon series...

Logan said...

The writing style definitely falls into the pop thriller category...There seems to be a method for using syntax and diction in order to get the reader engrossed in the story (if the storyline itself isn't engrossing enough).

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write said...

Those literary types love to trash the popular fiction. I hate that. I love a good story. Glad to hear this is a fun read. Great review!