Love You Hate You Miss You

About The Book:
Written by Elizabeth Scott Published Year 2009
Get this, I'm supposed to be starting a journal about "my journey." Please. I can see it now: Dear Diary, As I'm set adrift on this crazy sea called "life" . . . I don't think so.
It's been seventy-five days. Amy's sick of her parents suddenly taking an interest in her.
And she's really sick of people asking her about Julia. Julia's gone now, and she doesn't want to talk about it. They wouldn't get it, anyway. They wouldn't understand what it feels like to have your best friend ripped away from you.
They wouldn't understand what it feels like to know it's your fault.
Amy's shrink thinks it would help to start a diary. Instead, Amy starts writing letters to Julia.
But as she writes letter after letter, she begins to realize that the past wasn't as perfect as she thought it was - and the present deserves a chance too. Wherever I go, I'll always see you. You'll always be with me. And there's no happy ending coming here, no way a story that started on a night that's burned into my heart will end the way I wish it could. You're really gone, no last words, and no matter how many letters I write to you, you're never going to reply. You're never going to say goodbye. So I will. Goodbye Julia. Thank you for being my friend. Thank you for being you.
I'm a fan of Elizabeth Scott, I think it's ingenious of her being able to write books in different tones. I've read Perfect You and Stealing Heaven, both on her lighter side of her writing. I've been stalling in reading Living Dead Girl because I think it would be depressing?... scary to read? which is the same with books like Before I Die and The Lovely Bones. Generally I stay away from books with darker themes that of grief, loss, anger and guilt.
Everyone knows how hard it is to lose someone but you can never truly understand unless you're the one that's left behind, that's how Amy feels she doesn't need people to symphatize or console her. She's very angry and it's a gradual process for her to let go and learn to leave with the choices she's made. Although I'm not a fan of the theme I'm glad I've read this, I wouldn't want to miss out on Scotts books.

6 comments:

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write said...

I'm with you. Depressing and miserable isn't my preference to read. I'm not sure about picking this one up but good review!

Mark David said...

Oh, beautiful review. Is this Young/Adult? Why is that YA books often get the more enticing covers? I've got nothing against YA (I've read a few) but I noticed that there variants that sound much more "literary" than others. And this certainly sounds like one of them, based on your review and that passage you quoted :)

I agree with what you said that "everyone knows how hard it is to lose someone but you can never truly understand unless you're the one that's left behind". Very true.

I've read about Living Dead Girl some time ago and I was surprised at its theme. I never would have thought that you could find such themes in YA. And it does sound depressing, but apparently brilliant as well. Though I'm not sure I have the heart to read it. This one, perhaps, I can. You certainly make Elizabeth Scott sound very captivating :)

Kaye said...

Hey Mark David, I'm glad to know you're getting a dose of some YA Lit, there are certainly a lot of well written ones.
I guess labeling books as YA is more of a marketing tool rather than a genre so basically you get the same mix of romance, mystery, thriller, fantasy and such but maybe represented on a different level of understanding and having younger protagonist.
As for the covers since they are intended for younger readers, they have to really pay attention to the visual quality of them.

Mark David said...

Hmm, yes you're right about that. I get it now. YA isn't a really a "genre" since it practically covers everything. Thanks for the insight. I'll definitely be visiting your site every so often to check for ones I might like :)

natalierenae said...

Hmm...this one looks interesting, but I'm not so sure. Thanks for the review!

Natalie @ Mindful Musings

P.S. I checked out your blog after seeing that you follow mine! I'm now following you via Reader and look forward to reading more of your posts!

Kaye said...

Hey Natalie, thanks =)