Wild Roses

About The Book:
Written by Deb Caletti Published Year 2005
Seventeen-year-old Cassie Morgan lives with a time bomb (a.k.a. her stepfather, Dino Cavalli). To the public, Dino is a world-renowned violin player and composer. To Cassie, he's an erratic, self-centered bully. And he's getting worse: He no longer sleeps, and he grows increasingly paranoid. Before Cassie was angry. Now she is afraid.
Enter Ian Waters: a brilliant young violinist, and Dino's first-ever student. The minute Cassie lays eyes on Ian she knows she's doomed. Cassie thought she understood that love could bring pain, but this union will have consequences she could not have imagined.
In the end, only one thing becomes clear: In the world of insanity, nothing is sacred.


Maybe we consider a piece of work to be genius in part because it goes places we cannot go. Maybe it is not so much that the genius are nuts, but that there is something in the nuts that is genius. That ability to get to not just the seed of emotion, but to the place that exists even before the seed is there. Maybe they live amid the raw materials of feeling before feeling becomes organized; maybe they work with the base elements, like the cosmos in formation. There seems, anyway, an ability to get to truth, the purest emotion, if you can see through the barbed wire of chaos that surrounds it. Maybe that's what we respond to in those works of genius -- our own inability to be that emotionally unbound. An envy for the letting go the tether and seeing what is beyond the frontier, the barrier of self protection. Maybe the genius is only a letting go, in a way that most of us would be too frightened to. But maybe, too, the genius is just some wacky consolation prize for the pain of living out of this world.
I picked this one up without even reading the synopsis because I rarely see any Deb Caletti's book in paperback and this would be the first of her books I'll be reading. At first I thought the plot was abit odd but after a few chapters I started getting into it; I love those little facts about world renowed artists/writers and the twist about Dino's life. Cassie's narration was witty and honest but too jaded for a teenager in my opinion. Maybe because this is not a typical young adult book about boys, highshool or teen insecurities, even the romance was just a fraction on the joys of falling in love for the first time. I'm okay with that I just find the synopsis a little misleading because if Ian played a big part on the changes that happened to Cassie, his character should have been more defined especially in the matter of choosing between his responsibility to his family and what he wants in life. Much of the story is really about Dino and how his antics affects Cassie's life and on top of it Cassie has to deal with her parent's divorce. Cassie's voice is very mature and quite unlikely for a teen.

12 comments:

Crystal said...

Great review! Deb Caletti is one of my favorite authors. If you get a chance, check out her other work. She's an amazing author.

Kaye said...

Hey Crystal, will do. The Fortunes of Indigo Skye is next on my list.

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write said...

I haven't read any of her work. Looks good! I'm not into the typical rich girl/mean girl/high school angst stuff (ie Gossip Girl) so this is more up my alley! Thanks for the review!

Jenn-ay said...

I really enjoyed this book. I plan on reading 2-3 of her other books this month.

fantaghiro23 said...

Hi, Kaye. I happen to be reading a lot of teen books lately, and this one seems more my type. More adult.:)

Kaye said...

Hi Honey, The Kings Are Already Here by Garret Freyan-Weyr is quite similar to this too.

Mark David said...

This is very pretty blog you have here :) I saw your bookshelves at Peter's blog. Nice.

Kaye said...

Hi Mark, thanks but I think your blog is way awesome, I wish I've read half of what you have there.

Mark David said...

Gee, that's very flattering, thanks! I'm seeking to be a more well-rounded reader, so I'll definitely be checking your book recommendations to see what I can add to my pile :)

jacajo said...

I'm not really a reader but the way you write reviews is really great XD

Kaye said...

Hi jacajo, thanks =) I'm sorry to hear you don't read as much but I guess your passion lies with writing poems =)

Dannie said...

Great review. BTW, thanks for following my blog. Yours is really pretty :)