Weekly Geeks: Recommendations

Hosted by Weekly Geeks.
My blog is looking pretty bare and boring so I'm doing some Weekly Geeks post though the week is almost over .
MT TBR is as large as ever and still growing not to mention my Wishlist but one can't help on adding more and more to it, of course everyone is guilty of this. So where do I usually get my book recommendations? I visit alot of book blogs, check out my profile for the list and Goodreads which is a very good place to find good books and read reader reviews. Most of the books I've read this year are YA but mainly because of they are easier to read; fun and uncomplicated. I want and try my best to explore different genres though I can't get pass my book peeves which includes the main character dying and those with overt gory details.

So what am I looking for? Recommend me adult (meaning not YAlit) books which may be considered as Magic realism. From this genre, I enjoyed Like Water for Chocolates, If I Stay, Chocolat, Lollipop Shoes and The Monsters of Templeton.

posted by Kaye at October 14, 2009

6 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

Read Salman Rushdie. He is considered a master of magic realism. But then Marquez too doesn't disappoint in that arena.

gautami tripathy said...

Here is my geeky post:

Weekly Geeks: Recommendations

Melanie said...

Have you read any Haruki Murakami? After Dark is a great little book.

Kaye said...

Thanks Melanie. I've read some of his short stories in The Elephant Vanishes and hope to read After Dark.

artseblis said...

well, i'm a Labyrinth the movie fun, and, lately, this interest has resurfaced in my life to the point of obsessions (trying to read all the fan fiction i could find on the net... there are over 5,000). well, anyway, i started to look around for growing-up stories that do not target kids alone, and found among my TBR prospero's children by jan siegel (ignored by me for five years!). i am now loving it, and taking my time reading it.

prospero's children is the first in a little-known fantasy trilogy. the writing is lyrical and atmospheric.

the series as a whole is not YA though. in the sequels, Fern is in her late 20s and then 30s. The theme and conflicts, one of which is the destruction of a universe by a mad queen, are too powerful, far-reaching, and beyond one summer adventure's ability to resolve.

anyway, just sharing!

Kaye said...

Hi artseblis, thanks for the recommendation, I'll look up Jan Siegel.